Saturday, June 30, 2007

Ellen Sits Down with Carmindy

Carmindy recently released her first book called 'The 5 Minute Face'. To promote the book, Carmindy teamed up with Benefit Cosmetics and Sephora Eaton Centre to have a book signing.

Lipstick Powder 'n Paint were of course there and I was able to interview the famous makeup artist and TV personality.

Carmindy is truly as lovely and warm in person as she looks on What Not to Wear. I'll let you in as to what we chatted about:

LPnP: How long have you been a makeup artist?
Carmindy: It’s going on 20 years now, frightening to think. I started when I was 15.

LPnP: What made you want to be a makeup artist?
Carmindy: There were old pictures of my mother and grandmother as tea room models back in the day. I loved painting water colour and I loved looking at these pictures of modeling and then my Mom had got me a subscription to Elle Magazine. I thought that the women looked so healthy and gorgeous and I knew that I wanted to be able to be in the industry and paint, but was not sure how to go about it. It was a friend’s father who was a makeup artist for an old TV show that said “Why don’t you try to be a makeup artist?” So at 15 years old I asked my Dad to build for me a Hollywood style makeup mirror with bulbs and a director’s chair and I started doing makeup!

LPnP: What was your first job?
Carmindy: My very first job was as an assistant job and I had driven up to Los Angeles and signed up as an assistant to any makeup artist so my very first job was working for a news channel in Hollywood and I basically got coffee and cleaned the brushes of the makeup artists just to be on set.

My first real job was for Teen Magazine. I did a fashion story for them and that was my first on my own big magazine job.

LPnP: How did you get involved with What Not To Wear?
Carmindy: I got involved with What Not to Wear because I had done a lot of television before as a spokesperson for various cosmetic companies. And so when TLC was auditioning for a makeup artist that could talk on camera and was media trained, there I was! I walked into the audition and they gave me the job that day. No call backs, no questioning.

LPnP: What made you decide to write 'The 5 Minute Face'?
Carmindy: The book had been living in my head for almost five years.
Once I started on What Not to Wear I realized that women are busy - they’ve got children and school and jobs - and sometimes all three. They do not have time for a multi-step routine and the only books and the only information are so celebrity driven, that nobody is talking to the real women. So I created the universal technique which I practiced on the show to make sure it worked on women of all ages and colours and then wrote the book so that women from any country could know how to be beautiful in only five minutes.

LPnP: What are your three top tips for the average woman?
Carmindy:
1. Less is more
2. Embrace yourself and stop comparing yourself
3. Stop trying to erase or change, but instead enhance your natural beauty

LPnP: What is your biggest makeup DON’T?
Carmindy: Lip liner. Enough with the lip liner. We have to stop. The ring around the mouth look is out, it’s old and it’s awful.There are two types of ways to wear lip liner: Only if your lipstick bleeds, and then only if you wear a nude coloured lip liner so that you can’t see it. Or you if you’re wearing a red lip and you want it to last all day. Other than that, stay away, walk away from the lip liner.

LPnP: Are you Lip gloss or Lipstick?
Carmindy: I’m both. If it’s a lipstick, it should be sheer and moisturizing. Otherwise lip gloss. But there’s also great tinted lip balms, lip gloss, lipsticks all-in-one which I love.

LPnP: Do you follow the makeup trends?
Carmindy: You can play with the trends but you have to understand runway to real way. It’s about taking a trend and making it wearable for everyday. So if it’s all about crazy metallic eyes - use a slight smudge of metallic eyeliner. If it’s all about a deep burgundy- lip try a berry lip gloss or a sheer lip colour that is going to give that colour but it’s going to be wearable. So it's about taking a light hand to a trend and applying it in one area only.

LPnP: What are you wearing today?
Carmindy: I'm wearing M.A.C blush in Flower Power, which is a nice bright shade
My favourite lip product is Benefit’s Candy Store lip gloss
On my eyes I have High Beam which is the key to my five minute face – shimmer. It is placed under the brow, the inside corner of the eye and the top of the cheek bone
I am wearing Kiss me mascara which is great because it lasts all day long
Also on my eyes I have a Benefit's Eye Sketching Pencil in Royale smudged into the lash line.

Carmindy let me know that the best place to find out what is new with Carmindy and what is coming up is to visit her site http://www.carmindy.com/. I have signed up for the newsletter so that I can be in the know!

Later this week I will review Carmindy's book 'The 5 Minute Face' and let you know if it really works.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous SageRave said...

It's great that she explained about toning down a runway look to make it an every day look!

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Dark Circles said...

I am going out to get the book tomorrow. It's bound to have some great tips for concealing my dark under eye circles.

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Beauty Editor of Glam.com said...

Fab job Ellen - Carmindy gives the BEST beauty advice.

Keep the good stuff coming!

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang!
For 4th of July I got myself some Lipstick Queen at Barneys!
Love it!

Vicki

2:05 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

i love her and I love your site! come visit us. Im sure you'll enjoy it cheers :)

9:15 AM  
Blogger coachwife6 said...

I love Carmindy. I have learned more watching her on WNTW than I have reading any book, etc. Thanks for the great interview.

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home